A philological and authentic restoration that safeguards the marks of time
The coordinator of the renovation, the regional Superintendent for the Cultural and Artistic Heritage of Emilia Romagna decided to consolidate, restore and recover to new use and enjoyment every remaining membrane, part, finishing or decoration of the building; to reproduce the acoustic quality of the obsolete theatre; to recover the atmosphere of the destroyed building.
Attention was also focused on the future. According to the instructions of the Superintendent, CMB worked on updating the systems and stage equipment, using latest-generation technologies and taking account of today’s constructive and technological characteristics while respecting the philological reconstruction of the theatre. At the same time, CMB made sure to comply with current anti-seismic, fire-prevention, systems and hygienic regulations, adopting modern and technologically advanced stage machinery and paying particular attention to the acoustics.
Designed in 1841 by the architect Luigi Poletti of Modena, an eminent exponent of neoclassical architecture in Italy and the last of the great papal architects, Teatro Galli in Rimini was built between 1843 and 1857. Poletti introduced numerous innovations in nineteenth century theatre architecture to Rimini with his design: opposed to the serial repetition of the various tiers of boxes, the architect devised a system of arches on piers for the first order and a colonnade with giant order for the second and third row of boxes.